Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Grateful Dead Movie part 2

OH BOY! The opening cartoon is so bright and clear! I had intended to watch the dvd before the party so I would remember who was in it..but alas, no dvd and my video of it is no good since we don't have any working vcrs connected...Wow! I was so glad I had NOT viewed it because it was a complete treat to see on a big screen! The sound and visuals really lots better than the video!
I felt like such an ollllld woman watching it....where does the time go?
The film shows exactly how fantastic it was to be what it was we were back then...lol, young and deadheaded! Not only was the music everything No matter how geeky or weird you felt anywhere else, at a Dead show you were a welcome part of something bigger...I suppose that is what everyone says when the first get on the old bus- but in 74, mostly everyone at shows were truly young people...an "older" head around that time mightve been, oh, say 30-35 years old? Heck, my own mom was only 34 in 74!
............................................................................................
I was around 15 or 16 then and looked like this:
When you do watch the movie, you will see I looked like every third girl in the crowd...
I lived here in the Bay Area, where Bill Graham always had something going on for us"kids"...My parents met Bill at a Jewish community function and trusted him (my step-dad like BG, had been born in France, hidden as a child in Europe,went on to grow up in New York and somehow also landed in San Francisco) As long as it was a Bill Graham production, I could go, no questions asked if I didnt get home til a few daze later- that was the 70's)...No nasty drug habits, no teenage pregnancies, no crashed cars,no failing grades- I credit my inner Capricorn for getting me through...

Seeing how we were back then was almost overwhelming...I guess I will admit to tearing up just a tiny bit at seeing Bill in the white tux. Hearing Jerry's story (about the hundredth time) and watching him laugh at himself about "throwing Phil down the stairs" story....Then there is Bobby, so cute and charming in his gangliness- looking for the hidden guitar case (how could they do that to my guy?).....I get all ferklempt just remembering it! Dang, KFOG had Deborah Garcia on this morn (talking about her film) and they played "Ripple"...it was almost too much! lol!
Those were great times but not any more fun than going to see Ratdog has been these last few years....
Really,
maybe
I listen better now?
or because
I'm not flying through space or writhing in drug induced paranoia?
or because
Capricorns get more light hearted with age?
or because
the farther we go the rounder we get?
............................ ..................
I was rocking out in my balcony seat- there was an intermission and I went to see what shopping there was...Found Donna Standing right RIGHT right behind me! A few steps away from her was Pete Sears! I lumbered past them over to the poster room which was where the goods were available...I ended up getting a copy of Jay Blakesburg Photo book (nice mountain bikin Bob pix!)
oops- Scott's needing to turn off the electricity RIGHT NOW- so I 'll finish after/if the power gets switches back!
........
jerry video here! scroll down