Friday, October 15, 2004

Perhaps you wanna be something from the Hippy era for Halloween this year?
I remember my mom dressing me up as a baby hippy chick during those times- I'd get to wear her long straight blonde "fall"-which was super special since I had to wear short pixy hair cuts to keep my naturally frizzy hair managable , a big straw sunhat...luv beads, floaty peasant tops, scarves & layers of skirts...A family friend had crocheted a poncho for mom, so that was also recruited for the costume... my favorite touch (aside from the long blonde hair) was the elaborate eye make up and and daisy that my almost a hippy teenage baby sitter from across the street painted on me....Kudos to my mom for getting into it- she even let me trick or treat barefoot....
My grandparents wouldve plotzed had they seen me...
"If Nana asks about Halloween- tell her you re gonna be a gypsy!"
Somehow this flashback to ye ancient times was supposed to segue into sending you to this very 60's "Straight in the Haight" website....Here's the url (still learning the way of blog link)-

http://www.thestraight.com/index.html

Also-
osted: 10/15/04
Grateful Dead Movie Showing

San Francisco Bay Area Dead Heads take notice: Following its sold-out premier at the Mill Valley Film Festival on October 15, the restored version of "The Grateful Dead Movie" will have a theatrical engagement at the Rafael Film Center in downtown San Rafael (1118 4th Street) from Monday, October 18 to Tuesday, October 26. The Movie will screen each night in the big theatre, a very rare opportunity to see this stunning restoration on the big screen.