Sunday, March 07, 2004

Scroll down to find the earlier reviews,
Set 2, 3/2/04 continued:

The Weight was followed by a soft mellow jam...really pretty into Ashes and Glass..the first part of the song played with the usual swingy lyrics...then it slinks into something really smooth, yummy and at times a little spacy too...The squiggy sounds reappear but they sink right into the depths of this jam...it's very nice.... not too much time goes by before Bobby is singing the rest of the song...as the song slows to finish its just a second before the familiar fluid sound of Eyes starts up...the mellow continues. Is this a song for driving or dancing it just keeps moving...folks under the influence are having a good dance to this, I'm head swaying and afraid if i close my eyes, I might just zone out ...just as I close my eyes-and yup, start to zone- Bobby flubs a word- my zoning away is over, ...wake up to find out you are the i of the weirld!.....
...soon the end of the song jams lead us into the stranger territory of soup jazz..its space with a beat and I think we Bay Area folk know what's coming up..It's Zakariah Rose out to sing his Ratdog rap.... Between The Waybacks and Zak's jazzy hiphop,We get our dose of ecletic at these SF shows..."We just Free Stylin, Y'All!"....
...Before starting too far into the next jam, Bobby gives a nod "Zakariah"..then starts into a blueszy kinda honkytonkish Candyman-oh, yes..yum!! I've definately visited another zone or two or three before this one is over...
....Then, I'm so glad Mazzy is near when set closer SUGAR MAGNOLIA comes up!!
And We are cheering!!!! This is really extra exciting because Tree had met Bobstar the night before after the L.A. show and requested Bobby sing Sugar Mags in SF for US! Really- her post from that morning is somewhere if you scrolldown far enough....((((((TREE))))))))
The clapping for an encore is deafening, but at least it's short!
Our guys come back out for a rocking Johnny B. Good!!
....................
So sad when the show ends but we got to remind ourselves that there was another one just the next day! Scott joined the flock at the rail who were hoping to obtain one of the songlists..I smiled when I saw Hippy Bill give Scott the look and then the songlist...
Still not leaving the Fillmore just yet...we had purchased cds of the show in advance (we were to trade in the wristband they gave us for them) and were required to hang out for about 30 minutes post show...Not a problem since neither Scott nor I had work on Wednesday...When cds were ready, the salesgirl cut off the bands and handed us the goods...Really awesome to have them to listen to for the ride home...First thing I did Wednesday morning was to download them into my ipod....
On our way out, we received posters for the night..I have to say they are initally just horrible looking...a big nasty rat face on a dog's body- yick! But by now it's almost growing on me...Almost.