Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Blair Jackson's comments :
Mornin' all...
Had a great time last night seein' the new, and I must say, much improved lineup. I was one of those people who dug Joan's singing and liked what she brought to Garcia's songs, but I found that her NOT being there was fine; much less distracting, of course. Totally changes the vibe of the band, but in a good way, I think. Warren has the gravitas this band NEEDS, and, of course, the vocal prowess to pull off a "Stella" or--oh joy, joy, joy!--"Terrapin" (thanks for lettin' that one go, Phil!)

Wasn't until that "terrapin" that Warren totally cut loose, IMO. It's not that he seemed uncomfortable earlier; he was juck pickin' his spots, listening more. Jimmy seemed to be playing even MORE than usual, if that's possible, and louder, up until then, but the clash of three guitars I was expecting didn't really materialize. Bobby stayed out of Jimmy's and Warren's way quite effectively--I really dug the tone he had playing a telecaster most of the night...