Friday, December 17, 2004

Whatta Week!

Cannot decide whether to try to finally blog or take a nap!
Dont misunderstand- I want to write out the Sweetwater adventure- I'm just sort of beat- Friday...Last day of teachin for a few weeks...My Noah was away at outdoor ed this week and I've spent the afternoon hearing stories involving banana slugs, mud, 5th grade gossip & the waves of homesickness everyone experienced at various points during the week....

Well, while I'm still semi-vertical, I'll begin:

As soon as Bobby was confirmed for Sweetwater, I let the offline friends know about it...Gotta keep em informed too...Went to work Wed. morning..got home and paced til Scott was done at the dentist...Finally we were out the door and off to Marin- just about 4:30pm....And we were giddy as can be! Felt good!

The Sweetwater is so small and so... well, Sweet! I guess I expected a line or some hubbub of gear being unloaded but at 5:30, the place was mellow as can be....Inside..a few patrons were sitting at bar...some of the side tables with the banquettes were already taped off..only one guy was sitting down- at the very first table next to the stage - Scott and I recognized Binki as she had also just arrived. We staked the second table..the one guy at the first table introduced himself as Paul. Scott was going off to Throckmorten to meet up with our old friend Ron (an offliner) promising to bring back pizza for all...It's really nice that Sweetwater allows that folks bring food inside. Paul went back to the pile of paperwork on his table- I correctly guessed that he was grading homework....
It was fun catching up with Binki- While she's not online so much anymore- I see her at many shows and she's in the profile photo -on this blog-next to me. In fact, Binki and I are in a few pix with Bobby around the web...
At some point, A Sweetwater employee apologized that he needed to rope off our table for a particular taper...It was fine- I usually do prefer to sit on one of the high stools located to the side of the stage when I'm at the Sweetwater.
.
The saloon was still mostly empty -except for bar patrons and the 3 of us...Paul got to keep his table- he was holding space at it for a friend of a friend having a birthday. Binki was happy on what rail there was in front of Paul...I snagged a couple of the high stools...About as soon as I was resettled Scott and Ron appeared with pizza for all...Now, the energy started to change. DG and music peeps I don't know were starting to show up and arrange things. More and more people were starting to fill the few remaining empty tables. It was turning into just the best lil holiday party! David came out and proceeded with sound check- folks quieted down but David encouraged everyone to go ahead and chatter "ignore us- its the sound check"
We met Joe from the TOOBoard..Christine & Ben had gotten the message and were thrilled to be there..Familiar faces were all around...Met Paul's group of friends..Debby, a girl we were seated with, a few years ago at one of the Rex or Seva benefits showed up- seems she went to high school with our pal Ron! It was really very festive! Always is at the Sweetwater.
I was showing off my tee shirt
And out of the corner of my eye..there was Bobby, coming toward us out of what was now a crowd- He was nodding, smiling and just about to move by- I zipped up my jacket just as he scraped past us. .causing Scott and those who were just starting to read it to laugh...I dont quite recall where I got the shirt...I think someone got it for me from the lot? It is a classic, though....I havent seen Bobby wear those two tone shorts in awhile, I must say...
David started the show off by bringing out a musician named Corinne (pronounced Co-ren). She sang folk songs and has a sweet voice...Gotta admit knowing Bobby was in the house was distracting me from concentrating on the details of who did what til Bob got onto the stage...I do know one thing and that is the music was consistly great- I really enjoy DG's voice- loved his Terripin and especially dig the Doors song he did even though I'm NOT a Doors fan at all..........
Gotta stop here- The Daddy is home with the pizza!
I'll be back in justa little bit
...........................................................
Okay so that wasnt just a little bit, but once involved with dinner kept up with the family by watching "Terminal" on dvd...Having just seen the lovely Mrs Weir this week, couldnt watch the movie without noticing the exceptional resemblence between her and film star Catherine Zeta Jones... As Scott always says "That Bobby is a very lucky man!" I wouldnt mention it but, By now most diehard Bobbyfreaks have heard that Natascha'ssisterhas worked in films as CZJ's double...What ties this up rather neatly is that CZJ's husband actor Michael Douglas has said in interviews that he chose San Francisco for his old TV series "The Streets Of San Francisco" because he fell in love with the scenery when he was in college(UCSB?) and drove up from there to see GRATEFUL DEAD shows...Really! I read that somewhere!
.....................
Back at the Sweetwater, The saloon cheered when Bobby stepped on the stage! A Dark Hollow opener! He looks good! He is GOOD! Not that I ever felt he was off at all though...usual suspects and Kemmie, Mazzy, Woz, Cherise were all there just in time and added even more good energy to the night!