Monday, April 23, 2007

All Star Weekend! Work in Progress!

What a difference a week makes.
Last Monday, about now, I was speeding to the doctor (my 2nd visit in 3 daze) to get help for a VICIOUS attack of hives.
Two daze, 3 prescriptions, an everlasting benedryl haze, a shot of steroids and a 3rd visit to the doctor later and I found out I am allergic to an antibiotic I was on for the last month. By the time, Bud was due to land at SFO, I was feeling loads better. Still breaking out in hives every once in a while but the intensity is very light compared to what was going on a mere week ago.
So, yeah, Bud got here on Thursday night. So, great to see him! I think the last time was Ridgefield 06? Scott & I met Bud on the UKRD tour and share some excellent memories.

Friday started out a little cloudy but the weather turned out nice!
We set out for Mill Valley early in the day. We ate a nice lunch at The Depot, I dropped off my son's (Jase) mail to him at the bank.
Brought Bud over to Sweetwater and then had to get myself back home. My Sash was performing in her high school play- so the rest of the afternoon and evening was all about her. She was terrific! We were all so proud!
Scott maintained the excitement at the homefront and I dashed back to Sweetwater. Barely got out of car to find a grouplet of (((((Deadnet Goddesses)))) hanging out in the lot! Kemmie reported that she had just seen Jase inside- so, I dashed off to find my big kid- somehow it never works out to see a show with him- this was as close as it got (since Furthur back in 199?)
I was rude to everyone- while squeezing through the crowds yelling "Jason!". Hey, it was setbreak, btw.
I didnt see or sense him around though Bud had also seen him inside earlier. I called his cell, sure enough he had left about the same moment I had pulled in. He LOVED the set he saw but had plans for early Saturday morning so needed to get to his home to sleep.
How did I end up with such talented & responsible children (a mystery for the ages!)
My set(2nd) was amazing!
Here's some info from Jemimah Puddleduck's My Space page- I'm ordering the cds!!!
420 setlist/a few cds still available
04/20/07 (Fri) Sweetwater Saloon - Mill Valley, CA

Set 1: U Can Stay, But the Noize Must Go, Memphis Radio, Lazin on a Sunny Afternoon *, Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, Leave a Lite On **, Bait the Hook, Think It's Gonna Rain Today, Rock Yr Papa, Respect Yourself

Set 2: Annie Don't Lie, It Takes a Lot to Laugh, it takes a Train to Cry, Hallelujah (I love her so), She, Tiko Tiko, Easy Wind, Fools in Love, Don't Let Go, Time Will Tell, Deal, What's so Funny 'Bout Peace, Love n Understanding

E: Don't Bogart that Joint

Comment: * with Robin Sylvester of RatDog, ** First time played- MK original

Less than 20 cds left of this show- if you're interested, send $15 +$3 shipping to "Mark Karan", po box 961, fairfax, ca 94978. thanks for all your support!
.........
To be continued


...
The room was as crowded as ever, I hung in the back, schmoozing and passing out dogtags.
As the crowd shifted around, I was able to make my way over to see Ben & Christine. Christine owns a cute little shop in Burlingame called "Bare Necessities" She sells unique clothes and bath products. Really cool stuff! One of these days I hope to be slim enough to fit in something there besides the oils. They were just about to go, so I snagged a seat on the banquette they were leaving behind. It was fantastic! Over way too soon (Hey, I just got there!). Schmoozed a bit, collected my awesome Alan Hess poster & Bud and left.
Was trailed about 5 blocks by Mill Valley's finest before getting pulled over. I wasnt at all nervous- I hadnt driven too fast or irratically.
As far as imbibing goes, I had only had a diet coke .
The officer peeked in my car- saw the license plate on my dashboard and chewed me out a little about it. I showed him that my plate has been autographed by Mill Valley's Citizen of the year. I told him it was on my dash because I didnt want it to be stolen off my car. Officer laughed but told me the CHP wouldnt be as impressed.
We managed to make it down to the Peninsula without any incident. Had the customary aftershow 3 AM feast at Heidi's Pies (open 24 hrs) in San Mateo, then home to rest!
......
Saturday!
The weather had gone from a little cloudy to a lot cloudy. After a leisurely morning, we got ourselves together and bravely headed out to find Speedway Meadow.
The road to the park got drizzlier and drizzlier. No worries, plenty of rain gear in the back of the car.
An ideal parking spot was located close to the corner of 24th & Lincoln.
We ambled along toward where we thought Speedway might be. We kept hearing music playing around every bend. Each time it was another party or a car blasting a radio.
We aasked a feral type and he gave us directions which worked out.
Sliding down a muddy hillside we found the path. We followed it right up to some tents. A car pulled up just a head of us.
Out of the car popped the always awesome Mr Bobby Weir follwed by that large handsome gray beast known now to all as Jackson. We got a smile and a "Hey ya!" before the awesome and the handsome trod off to where they were needed.
On the way to the front of the stage, we ran into mr Jay. I traded a handul of dogtags for a sweet hug and continued along to get out front.
There were familiar faces already gathering out front of stage. I didnt see any reason not to go stand at my favorite rail spot.
So what if everyone else was hanging back?
I was in Heaven,




at the end of a rope...