Saturday, December 02, 2006

Rexalicious!


Vibes for Peace

Posted by "Zooey"
Also Jay Lane sat in on a few tunes in the 3rd set.
Wavy Gravy spoke at some point.

Set 1

Jen sings lead for:

Piece of My Heart
Comes a Dawn
7 Seconds
Cumberland Blues
Your House

Bobby joins for:
Fountains of Wood
New Speedway Boogie
Good Lovin'

Set 2

With Bobby:
Scarlet Begonias
Fire on the Mountain

Bobby leaves for:
"Love is the Ocean, Time is the Tide" (Jen) (not sure of the name of this one)
Drums

Bobby returns for:
The Other One
"What do you know" (Jen) (not sure of the name of this one either)
Lovelight

Encore:
See You Again (Jen)

Fountains of Wood was the highlight of the show. Bobby seemed to really enjoy playing with Kimock and walked over to stand across from him during 2 or 3 jams. There were some sound problems off and on, especially with Bobby's mike.
..............
..............
..............

I'm still groggy right now. Slept in and sore from moving different sets of muscles.
Yesterday was fun all around!
After confirming that Mom would for sure be completely in charge of the kids, I had no worries about going in to the city with El Scotto bright and early yesterday morning.
It being the first of December, the pawn shop was packed!! It's always a funny scene in there. Some TV people were for a while nterested in doing a reality series (like "Tattoo Ink") but it didnt go through. Too bad because pawn shops are widely misunderstood...As soon as other businesses began to open, I took off to shop around Valancia Street. Forget the Haight, The Mission is where it's at. Every kind of food you can think of including Vegan is available there. I chose the wonderful Boogaloos I knew once the day got going there wouldnt be food til dinner at Rex, so I opted for a big fatty filling breakfast. I spent a few hours just poking through all the shops. My faves are Dog Eared books, Encantada, Therapy, Botanica Yoruba, Cut.loose outlet, Beadissimo. Oh, oh,oh and of course Good Vibrations!!. The cafes are all internet access and full of nice looking urban hipstrers. New College is located right on Valencia. Maybe when my kids are finished with school, I'll take some classes there.
........
I had 3 large boxes to schlep to the Warfield. Two held over 500 party bag favors and one had a set of bongos & a tambourine. The instruments were donated for the silent auction by Mission Music, which is the new legal name for the pawn shop's music division. We are quite excited by the possibilities of Mission Music.
I was all packed up like a mule and about to head up to BART but then things slowed down a little at the shop and Scott was able to take off and drive me to Market Street wherte the Warfield is.
I knocked on the door and explained what I was there for and let in. I was immediately directed to the goody bags and spent the next hour or so dropping goodies into them. Someone had already placed copies of Relix and a cd in each one. There were a few different cds contributed enough for everybody to receive one. I added my thingies as well as cute dancing bear keychains that were donated by Grateful Graphics. Beautiful Vera was there helping out too. She placed Cliff bars in each bag (bags were donated by Birkenstock). The rest of the time was spent getting all these bags to the tables and then setting up the tables. As luck would have it, soundcheck was taking place as we scurried around - folding napkins and whatever. It was sweet to see Vadim & Hippie Bill again. I realized it was getting late and left to BART back down to the Mission. BART was running late and I was a little concerned about walking around the Mission in the dark. The Mission is still kinda scketchy by the 16th street BART station which is the stop closest to the shop.
Made it to the shop and Scott & I changed into our party clothes in the family's flat above the shop. Kemmie came by and we three then drove up to the benefit together.
It was cool to walk right in without dealing with lines. There was a drum circle at the entrance and some of the volunteers I had met earlier were dressed in costumes and dancing around. We had dinner tix and felt quite regal floating down the tiers to our fabulously located table. We were right in front of the stage. We were the rail!
Dinner was delicious- not sure what the vegetarians ate but there was an incredible spread of Cajun meats. There were salads and a yummy mushroom pie thing. Dessert included cakes and "you must taste this" ORGANIC chocolates donated by Jeff (Cheffy) from Lillie Belle Farms.
Wine and water were complimentary for diners and I did pretty well with the merlot. Jeff had been putting packs of his Hippie Crunch toffee on the tables during soundcheck. I opened one of the packs on our table. Scott and I shared a few bites of that. Wow!
Kemmie and WendySue from Deadnet were also at our table the rest of the party didnt show up til the music started- a group of nice looking men. I missed Tim and Linda. This turned out to be our first Rex benefit without them. (((Feel better soon!!))).
After I was done eating, I saw folks started lining up their stuff by the stage. I figured I better nab a spot before everyone congregated. I know, I'm obnoxious about my space but since I was already sitting 4 feet away that I might as well enjoy the proximity just a little more. I was able to chat with bunches of other raildogs who floated down to scope out spots. Security showed up before the music started to gently ask folks to go back to their seats. Ah darn, it was gonna be absolutely stellar rail crew too - Vera, Allison, Deadnet Goddesses. I really can't/didnt complain because my seat was right in front.
It was wonderful to see all the Bay Area deadheads and Rex people again. I had a lot of merlot fueled fun. Got my courage up and went over to meet Bob Minkin and thank him for all the years of fine looking Bobby pictures. He was kind and very gracious.
The lights dimmed and the Rhythm Devils were introduced. Security was serious about keeping folks off the floor- the only folks in front of us were photographers- there were loads of them too.
So where are all the pictures already??
Anyhow, at different points of time, front row peeps would stand to dance but security asked us in the front row to stay in our seats or to move to the aisle to dance. It wasnt easy to stay seated but I wasnt giving up my view for anything. I rocked in my chair (and woke up with some serious aches in muscles I didnt know I had).
The lights went up and setbreak was on!
I decided to mosey up to the lobby and see if I needed to bid on anything. I still hadnt seen the auction items.
Lots of folks moving around- among the Hippy celebrity set mingling were Barry Sless with Flying Other Brother Roger McNamee, Mountain Girl and Wavy Gravy, on the stairway Jay Lane was schmoozing with a gaggle of the Ratdog railcrew.
On the next level up, Merle Saunders was sitting with his lady at one of the tables. It was good to see him!
The auction was going well. Aside from Mission Music bongoes and the newly autographed tambourine that I had schlepped were several lovely framed photographs of Grateful Dead family, a nice poster of the Klezmorim designed by Robert Crumb, some game tix (Warriors?) and the new Grateful Dead board game- autographed by members of the GD.
I returned to my seat in time for set 2 to begin.
I'll have to log back in later so stay tuned-