Monday, September 18, 2006

Once again, Mr Scott made plans without consulting me...I wasnt pleased but what could I say? One of his poker buddies had 49er Opening game tix for all. On my own yet again to a show. I figured the daughter would come along and maybe the birthday kid too, but nope, kids had stuff like homework they needed to do. A friend called from the park to let me know that dogs on leashes were okay! I wouldve liked to have shown off my beautiful Lilah (with her "coal black hair") but she'd have freaked out. She's not a "people dog" really just likes being home with her family.

Buster (today is his first anniversary of coming to live with us!) mightve been just fine but did I really want to have to schlep water & poop bags and where did we leave that leash?

Clock was ticking so I finally wrote out directions and jumped in the car.
I have been to McLaren once before around 1976 with my (then)boyfriend Joe (guitar Joe, his website is on this page with the links) We were there to see a band but I don't remember which band (hey maybe one MK was in back then? who knows? who can recall?) I remember sitting on a hill and after, passing the Cow Palace on the way home. The highway mightve changed thanks to Loma Prieta, but I found the Park. I turned down John Shelley Blvd- except for some parked cars and a handsome kid riding around in circles on a bicycle, the street seemed deserted.
I was just wondering if I should keep driving along when I recognized the bicycle kid as our own Jay Lane! No one better to ask how far down to drive! I was told I was close and to walk thru some trees to find the amphitheater. And so that's just what I did!
Once inside the amphitheater, I recognized the place from before though I don't remember the concrete theater, I did remember the hill.
The usual suspects and Bay Area Dogheads were out in full force (except for Scott). The crowd was light.
Every view was a good one.
A band was on stage playing one U2 song after another. I mentioned to a friend that the lead singer had a kinda Bono thing going on with the hat & glasses and the lead guitar had a hat like the other guy in U2. When they got to the 4th U2 song, I finally figured out that they must be a cover band (oh!). Zoo Station was the name so there ya go!
Wandered around for a bit during the setbreak not a lot of boothes but still nice to browse and visit with everyone from Mazzy, Paulyy, JB (from Grateful Graphics) & Alan to Reisha, Bahamashead & Vera. Kemmie brought her twins. Looking good in the new tie dyes, Kem!
MK, Jay, Robin , DG & others(Pete Sears!) hit the stage as MK & Buds and lots of rocking going on. Dear Mr Fantasy was a good choice for the venue, I thought. There was 'Hey Pocky Way" and "Noize has gotta go" too. They didnt play as long as I wouldve liked to hear them but it was cool set despite a few tech probs at first.
Next up was (I'll need to look up the name) aother one of those hot lil jambands that feature a fiddle player. Been seeing more and more of these. Ala SCI? Nice but don't know why they seemed to have been on stage longer than Buds?
At last David's Rubber Souldiers came on! I loved the Beatles covers and Birdsong.
For a setlist & proper names of those that sat in check out David's Rubber Souldiers page! I hear that Peter recorded the show (Hopefully the MK & Buds portion too!). By the time Dave Nelson came on, I had to get home. All in all a fun sunny afternoon!

Translation?
How do we get Ratdog into this line up?
I miss Amsterdam!

Slap on the wrist for JP Barlow?. Sure took long enough to get that day in court.