Thursday, August 24, 2006

In Progress

As usual, I'm adding to this tour journal when I can- So scroll to see if I've added on.
Got lots to do since I've been away...could take awhile...



Ramble on Rose...

It's been a big busy week.

Noah, Scott & I took off last Friday for Mendocino County. We decided to stay in Ukiah instead of Willits for the night.
Just our luck, there was a Grateful Dead cover band called 'Workingman's Ed" playing at the Ukiah Brewing Company. I was happily surprised at how much the guy who sang the "Jerry" songs sounded very Jerryesque. The Bobby was not Bobbyesque but it's always interesting to hear another take on BTW.

Saturday,

we left Ukiah for Willits. We looked forward to a big brekkie at The Country Skillet (it was a yearly tradition). We were disappointed to find the place is no longer open on the weekends! Ended up at Perko's. Blech.
On to Winnarainbow. Sash wowed us with swing dancing, PsychoShakespeare and Improv performances.
We made it home around 10:30 pm. Kids & Scott went to bed- I stayed up to pack for my trip to the East Coast.

Sunday,

Had about an hour's sleep before the alarm went off around 4:00 AM. I had a 7 AM flight and made it to SFO at 5:30 AM.
It was a crazy scramble once I saw the mess o folks in the baggage line! The outside baggage check was much shorter than the indoors one. After 15 minutes, I made my way to the massive security line. Excited airport personnel separated those of us with 7:00AM flights from everyone else and rushed us thru.

I ran to my gate and found I had a little time to spare. Just enough to buy a few magazines. I read an entire Vanity Fair magazine and embroidered a neckline of a tee shirt by the time we landed in Charlotte, N.C.

I was hungry and had a little time before my flight to Newark, so I looked for food to buy. Every canteen had a long line- except for the Starbucks. I didn't have anytime to wait for a latte- I grabbed a cold, stale,cheese sandwich which I cannot believe cost over nine dollars! In North Carolina? Again had to RUN to the gate not to miss my flight. Once on the plane, we were stuck on the tarmac for 30-45 minutes (argh).
Finally, got to EWR. Glowy was there to greet me. We jumped in her car and headed directly to...Well, I'm not sure where but it was where we going to see CSN&Y!!!!!

It was killer humidity on the way to CSN&Y. Suddenly, rain gushed down as we were driving. It was totally crazy!
It only lasted a few minutes, but it did reduce the humidity . I should've known then that I'd be hearing another 'Hard Rain's gonna Fall" in Ridgefield. It always rains hard wherever I go to before I hear that one...Bahamas, Beacon, Seattle...
We parked and hiked up to an enormous amphitheater. Glowy went in and found her Jason (we each have a Jason) who had somehow managed to find a ticket for me! Good news as the show was sold out.
And what an incredibly great show it was! I'm sorry to Scott- I oughtve pushed for us to get tix when CSN&Y Played here.
We were on a lawn. People were sitting tightly together and some suspected the show had been ridiculously oversold.
glow couldn't wander far without someone or another running over for a hug or to say hey. I met sons, cousins, friends, sons' girlfriends, friends of sons, sons' girlfriends' parents. A whole lotta love in the air.

We were a little late got in at "Almost Cut My Hair". The time went by too fast. I called Scott and held up my cell phone so we could share "Our House" which is a favorite of his. I'm too close up at Bobby shows to be able to effectively give a listen but up on the lawn the sound was loud, clear and he loved hearing it live. There were classic CSNY tunes from back when folks were protesting the war in Viet Nam. The songs segued to the band's current songs about the war in Iraq.
Normally, I don't like having an agenda pushed on me at a show...I like to feel I'm making my own decisions about what is right and what is fair. I have concerns about masses of people adopting a POV because someone "cool" or charismatic is pushing it.
However...
If a band is gonna come out swinging against the war in Iraq and the guys who got us in that mess, CSNY are the men to do it! The songs rock and the videos presented are very effective.
I'm interested in knowing if CSNY are sticking to a single setlist or if they have been varying it at all?
My fave of the night ( too bad I missed "Wooden Ships") was the big "Teach Your Children"...and I didn't mind it at all when someone on stage suggested we triple teachers' wages.
............
Monday,

Tossed our bags in the trunk of G's car. Stopped for gas and essential beverages then headed to Ridgefield.
The East coast is nothing like I thought. Everywhere I've been (except NYC) seems real rural and green compared to the Bay Area. Here the suburbs all run together . There, they have towns and villages separated with expanses of woods & countryside. The freeway system is also baffling to me. And I couldn't figure out at all what direction we were going.
Here, I'm use to ocean on the West (determined by our coastal mountains) and the Bay and hills on my East. Cooler air and a sense of height going North (which is where my hilly city on the Bay is). South is Silicon Valley and dry heat. We have the micro climate thing here so the sense of warmth & coolness is distinct.
Every road felt like a country road on the way to CT.
We first headed to Ridgefield to check out the venue. The playhouse is located in what makes me think of Martha Stewart land. Beautiful old homes with big lawns and leafy trees. The venue was around the side of a large building. Pictures of the place are in that swirly slideshow somewhere on this day's blog. We took a peek around. Then took off to look at the little city of Danbury before finding our hotel. Once checked in, it was time to get some lunch then rest a bit and finally get ourselves over to Ridgefield for the show!
The lot was active with deadheads. We barely arrived and found ourselves situated right next to a team of Dot Orgers! Great to see Jammin & Tenn Jed again. I knew faces from photos and I know names from the message board but still wasnt too sure who was who. Only excuse is that I'd been more or less sleep deprived all month. I was surprised when someone wished me a happy anniversary! True, our 18 (it's a good luck number in Judaism, by the way) year wedding anniversary was Monday! We figured we could handle celebrating apart this one time. Found out my (((Dave))) spread the word!
I brought a bag of tzchakies to give out as well as a lil something for Bud and so moved on through the lot, then up to the playhouse. The merchandise booth was all set up so I purchased my cd wristband and said "hi" to the usual suspects on the other side of the counter. Had my hand stamped, purse checked and ticket ripped so in I stumbled. I was surprised to find I could walk down to the stage as no one looked or attempted to at my ticket. I saw Ellen & Warren and went over to hug em. They were Dead Bobby center on the rail.
After hugs and chat, G & I situated ourselves at the last available rail space- MK side, me in front of a massive speaker. The stage was rather low and the guys were closer than I've seen in a few years to the front of the stage. No barriers either.
Bud appeared next to us! I was excited to see him- forgot his birthday was actually the 22nd and gave him his gift early.
After only a few moments, Charucki was stepping up to a mic and giving the smoking warnings. The lights dimmed and out trotted the band. Yep, the guys were only about 4 or 5 feet away. It was crazy to be able to be so close. The opening jam became Truckin.

Setlist:
Jam>Truckin>Take Me To The River>Youngblood, Ramble On Rose, Tomorrow Never Knows> Senor> Row Jimmy>Maggies Farm.
Blackbird.Desolation Row, Bury Me Standing, Silvio>Tequila>Iko-Iko>WharfRat>Not Fade Away. Funky Stuff (we want the bump!) Throwing Stones>Touch of Gray

My rail spot was great for visuals but when I couldnt hear "Senor" through the distortion from being too close to the speaker, I went up to my seat which really was the very farthest seat away from the stage! I could see okay from up there and found the sound much more to my liking. I took a few pix with the poor old black kodak. Always the yellow light came up - I eventually gave up on pix during the show-even though some turned out okay (see slideshow).

Set break came after a few songs and I went downstairs to chat with friends. We were going outside for air, I had my hand stamped and followed friends outside. After a while, it was time to venture back in. I went to the same guy who had stamped my hand on the way out and he asked to see my ticket. I absolutely could not find it! The guy was the same security guy that I had spoken to about cameras earlier in the day, and who checked my ticket in as well as doing my stamp. Still he was clearly not letting me back in without a ticket! My friends were already deep inside the playhouse and I was stuck. I was fuming ! Before I could figure out what to do next, a dude from the crew was walking by, I hated to ask him for help (drama!), but it wouldve been silly not to. Anyhow, I got a smile and a "Have nice set" from the security guy when I was brought through by ((((unnamed kind crew person)))).

I went back down to the rail to tell my friends about being stuck outside and was interrupted by another security guy wanting to see our tix. I asked if he was joking or what? Before he could answer, another security guy told him to forget about getting all the people to their seats- just make sure the aisles werent being blocked . Close one for me since my ticket was awol.
There was space a little closer to the middle- well, at least not right in front of the speakers. A dad & kid had moved into my old front of speakers spot. I shuddered to notice the kid did not have any ear protection.
The sound was clear and lovely in my new spot which was left of speakers. I was happy to see Bleu had showed up with his beautiful camera- Look for his pictures on dot org. He took a bunch from our angle and there was a segment during the second set when Bobby came right up to where Bleu was taking photos- those ought to be outstanding!
It was a friendly night...No trouble moving back and forth through the people, a song in front-then back to the side to dance or take a breath. I enjoyed the show so much - the Stuff was Funk oriented.

My favorite for the evening was the amazing WharfRat. Silvio, Iko, Desolation Row were great too. Oh, geez, it was all good once I was away from the front of the speakers. And there's something to be said about being flanked by so many good Ratdog tour friends. I love looking around and seeing everyone smiling & dancing!
After the show, visted witfolks- was glad to see 3 Deadnet Mamas & Rus in line for discs with me. Katrinka & Graceful came from California for vibes and these shows. Loie was in her home state.
Found a semiquiet corner to call Scott from. Was happy to learn he hit his first "Grand Slam" earlier at his Softball game. Bud was nearby as was Dennis McNally and both wished Scott a happy Anniversary. Dennis yelped it into the phone and Bud played a tune on his harmonica! Scott was so pleased!
....

Tuesday,

Slept in..sort of, had a mission to find somewhere to replace G's burnt out headlight. Then lunchies, then back to bed to recover from a late night...the day passed quickly and we soon enough were heading back to Ridgefield. One thing that made Ridgefield a different experience than your usual venue was that it was located in the middle of what appeared to be a very leafy, wealthy suburb. The venue- obvious in the pix, is part of a town hall building. Not visible from the road with the entrance around the back. We pulled in the parking lot , had stuff to drop off at one of the band's buses, while we were there a primo parking spot opened up (apparently the town hall has a gym and one of the Ridgefieldians were done working out). We schmoozed awhile with some folks, then I scrambled off to purchase a wristband for cds.
They were already letting people in so in we went....back down by the stage...rail was about 1/2 full...no one claiming the area in front of MK-so, we filled it in and found ourselves next senor jammin john. It wasnt as close to the huge speaker as the previous night.

The rail area filled up quickly and densely. I met various 40ish blonde women closing in behind me- one decked out in PTA clothes (pearl necklace included) named Betsy claimed no one could possibly be a bigger Bobby fan than herself..(oh, PUHLEEEZE!). A second rather polished looking blondie (Nancy?) was with her husband..Nancy was absolutely thrilled about being so close up to Bobby. A third well dressed 40ish blonde was with her husband and was not one bit happy about being there "It's her first GD related show" the hubby told me. He was all smiles, Wifey was looking unsure about being mooshed about but settled for being flanked by all us forty something Bobby freaks.

Soon Charux did his smoking spiel, the lights dimmed and our heroes traipsed over to their instruments.
I wondered what sort of show was in store...A pretty jam with hints of serious Jazz lead up to what I thought mightve turned into 2 Djinn but it turned out to be a rockin "Bertha". I was really happy with the setlist ..I had been splaining Setlist Tarot to a few folks recently and it seems this might ve been one of those shows where it happens.
What is Setlist Tarot you might ask?

Well, it's when a show is a bit like a Tarot card reading. Instead of laying out cards, songs get played..each song has a special bit in it that will trigger a thought or feeling for me that would only make sense to me. Mightve heard a line or lick a few thousand times but at the moment I hear it in a particular show, it tells me something new. A show can ask a question or answer one. It's I guess a synchroncity thing..I don't know but it happens big and small to me. Scott and I both found the Harmony Festival show to be extremely healing in this way.
'Sometimes the songs that we sing are songs of our own"

Well, back to Ridgefield-
I found this to be a sweet show with lots of highlights. I especially enjoyed the Lazy River Road -even with the little cough inside. There was some elbow room at the rail, so I invited Nancy up so she could be that much closer to the Bobstar.

As Dark Star started up...Wifey and Betsy were conversing loudly behind me...I tried smiling politely..hoping to make eye contact that would remind them that SOME PEOPLE WERE THERE TO HEAR THE MUSIC...no response....I glared...No response...
Finally, I channelled my inner bitch and fumed at them "CAN YOU NOT TALK DURING THE SONGS!!!"...Poor Betsy whispered she was sorry and blamed Wifey (who was somewhat hammered by now). I heard whispers behind me but as the band settled in for the 13 minute DS, I became oblivious to anything but the dreamy instrumentals and Bobby's voice. This Dark Star faded off in really delicate little notes which revved up to "She Says".